Quick GHX Install guide
This little guide describes how to install quickly GHX.
GHX installation is divided in 2 parts, the system part and the user
part. System part must be performed everytime you upgrade from one GHX
version to another. User part must be performed at least the first time
a user run GHX. After an upgrade, users may have to change few things
to have new features but it is most of the time not necessary.
- System installation:
Before installing GHX, you must download the appropriate
client version archive.
available clients is sorted by OS/CPU and library version.
Choose the most appropriated package and download it.
- installing archive:
For this example, installation will be made
inside the directory /usr/local/ghx2.
Simply cd inside the installation directory and make:
tar xvfz archive_name.tar.gz (if you use GNU tar).
If you don't use GNU tar, gunzip the archive before
tar xvf archive_name.tar
If you don't want to install whole GHX package in the same
directory, you have to uncompress it in the temp directory.
To install GHX in /usr/local,
You can rename files and directories with the name you want.
- move ghx2 inside /usr/local/bin
- move modules inside /usr/local/lib.
- access rights: Don't forget to set appropriate rights on files.
root rights is not necessary ('s').
- User installation:
- To perform user installation, start ghx. It must be performed from the user to configure account.
- At the very first time, GHX starts in a minimal version, only 2 windows are opened,
the command and the task window.
- Click on the configuration button of the command window to open
the configuration window.
- On the configuration window, enter your nickname in the nickname field
and choose the icon you want to use.
- On the top of the configuration window, press the local directory
text to switch to another part of the panel. Thus, enter the local path GHX must use
or search it using the file browser.
- On the top of the configuration window, press the Options
text to switch to another part of the panel. This part of the configuration panel
contains a lot of switches to enable or disable some features of GHX. If you
don't know what these switches do, read the GHX online manual.
This part of the configuration is optionnal.
- Now, save the current configuration using the Save configuration button
and the press the manage module button.
- After clicking on the manage module button, a new panel appears. This
panel allows user to select which optionnal modules GHX will use.
First, you must tell GHX where modules are. Use the add and remove button
to add or remove (selected) paths. Using our example, modules stay in the
/usr/local/ghx/modules/ directory. When all paths are defined, press the
rescan button to update the list of available modules.
- After the rescan ends, a list of available modules appears, just check the
modules GHX must load. Some modules are not necessary for GHX but are necessary
if you want to be able to do everything on hotline sites:
- Agreement module
- Post news module
- Add a quit button
- Add a disconnect button
- Display site files (very very useful)
If you are a site admin, some other modules are necessary. Just read the
Thus, press the Save configuration button
and restart GHX. To leave GHX, simply close the command or the task
window by clicking on the close window widget.
- After GHX restarts, the Command window contains more buttons.
You have done the GHX user configuration. Welcome in GHX wonderful world.
- Upgrading already installed GHX:
- If you want to keep previously installed GHX version, you must make a copy yourself.
- Just install the new package in the same directory as the previous one
If you have any questions/suggestions about GHX, contact A.C.2.I. .
Copyright© 1998-2001, email@example.com